Yoga Teacher Traning Syllabus
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Syllabus
Panch kosha (five covering or sheaths over consciousness)
- Yoga Philosophy
- Yoga – Introduction
- Origin of yoga
- Different paths of yoga -Karma, Bhakti and Jnana
- Consciousness and awareness
- Evolution of awareness
- Evolution of elements (according Sankhya darshan)
300-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Syllabus
- Annamaya kosha (physical sheath) – Gross body – Conscious state
- Panch-tatva (Five-elements), Sapt-dhatu (Seven-tissues)
- Pranamaya kosha (energy sheath) – Subtle body – Subconscious state
- Panch-prana (five vital airs)
- Karmendriya (five organ of action)
- Nadi (subtle energy channels), Tri-shakti (tried energy)
- Shat-Chakra (six centre of energy-transformation)
- Kundalini and Granthis
- Manomaya kosha (mental sheath) – Subtle body – Subconscious state
- Manas (mind), Buddhi (lower intellect), Chitta (memory), Ahamkar (ego)
- Jnanedriya (five senses)
- Jnanamaya kosha (intuitive sheath) – Subtle body – Subconscious state
- Buddhi (higher intellect)
- Ananadmaya kosha (bliss sheath) – Causal body – Unconscious state
- Turiya – Pure consciousness
Yoga Therapy: Yoga asanas can help with the recovery and management of many common diseases and disorders. This class will provide students with an introduction to the anatomy and pathology of common health issues that diet, asana, and pranayama practice can ameliorate.
- Asana: Yogic postures comprise three hours of the daily schedule. Morning asana classes focus on those asanas related to yoga therapy, whereas evening asanas provide students a class model they will later teach to 200 hour TTC students. From the third week, students will begin practicing a modified Ashtanga Yoga sequence.
- Yoga Anatomy: Students will learn anatomy and physiology relevant to yoga in order to strengthen their classroom explanations, cues, and corrections of asana. • Philosophy: This class will prepare students to read and understand Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. Each Friday, students will lead a discussion reflecting on the week's readings. Before class, students should write down one question on a notecard directly related to the day's reading and give this to the teacher at the start of class.
- Pranayama, Yogic Breathing, Yoga Nidra & Chanting: Students will learn techniques to open vital energy centers in the body with a goal of becoming proficient enough to teach these skills to their students. Practical teaching experience will begin from the second week.
- YMCD - Karmananda, Swami. Yogic Management of Common Diseases. Edited by Yoga Publications Trust: Bihar School of Yoga, 2010.
- RY - Vivekenanda, Swami. Raja Yoga: Conquering the Internal Nature. Kolkata: Advaita Ashrama, 2011.
- MMMRY- Niranjananda Saraswati, Swami. Mind, Mind Management & Raja Yoga. Yoga Dristi Series. Bihar: Yoga Publications Trust, 2011.
- YA - Kaminoff, Leslie, and Amy Matthews. Yoga Anatomy. 2nd ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2012.
Evaluation & Certification
- Assessments will be based on written as well as practical evaluation.
- Student conduct will be a part of the assessment criterion.
- Evaluation will be carried out only for those students who have a minimum of 95% attendance in all classes.
Yoga Teacher Training India - Ethical Guidelines
- A uniform is mandatory during the course.
- Silence must be maintained between 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Home-work consisting of 4 to 5 answers needs to be submitted in writing the following day.
- Classes cannot be missed except in cases of ill health.
- An outing except on a day off is not permitted.
- A final exam is conducted as part of the evaluation procedure.
- Admission to this course is no guarantee that you will receive a certification.
- In order to help in finding introversion and inner strength meals have been reduced to two per day. However herbal tea and fruit will be available.
- Rishikesh Yog Peeth reserves the right to disqualify any student at any given time during the course of training.
- The schedule is subject to change if the Course Director deems it fit to do so.
- Rishikesh Yoga Peeth adopts the ancient approach to yoga to inculcate in each student the wisdom that yoga manifests. Teaching and learning is therefore designed in such a way that ethical practices are ingrained automatically in the students at the Yog Peeth.
- The day begins with the daily regimen (Dincharya) and ancient code of conduct. Activities are planned according to seasonal code of conduct (Ritucharya). The concept of behavior chemistry (Achar- rasayan) is the concept that students are expected to imbibe.
- Maharishi Patanjali prescribed certain rules of how a person is expected to act in society (Yama) and how personal code and conduct (Niyama) is the expected and essential behavior for individuals to follow. We at the Yog Peeth expect this behavior terminology to be understood and practiced sincerely and honestly by all students to the best extent possible.
- Before students register for the yoga teacher training they must be aware that this traditional teaching will differ from that of the west. There could even be a fundamental difference in the understanding of the yogic path as that which is taught in the yoga schools in the west.
- Modified exercises that go by the name of yoga are frowned upon by Rishikesh Yog Peeth and so only those students must apply for the course who are willing to commit to the strict regimen of the Peeth.
Yoga Teacher Training - Code of Conduct
- Discipline is an integral part of the training program and so the course routine must be strictly observed.
- Disrespect to rules and regulations could result in termination of studentship with no refund of fee.
- Absenting oneself from the scheduled program without prior permission of the teacher or manager concerned would be construed as a gross breach of discipline.
- A student must intimate in advance if they intend to forgo a meal so that there is no wastage of food.
- The Yoga Peeth does not make arrangements for guests of students. Any activity that is not related to the course is not permitted.
- Ensure you are on time for class or you will not be permitted to enter any class once it has commenced.
- Before departure from the Peeth students must all dues and return all library books.
- Smoking and alcohol are not permitted during the training.
All aspirants are advised to carefully consider the time and resources required for the course before forwarding the application for the teacher training course. The deposit submitted with the application is not refundable. However, in case of emergencies and other unavoidable exigencies the Yoga Peeth at its discretion permits students to go for any other scheduled course within the period of one year. We therefore recommend that all applicants carefully examine their upcoming obligations so that they may be able to devote their full attention to the teacher training program.